Thursday 29 October 2009

What's going on?

After peer pressure from friends and colleagues I'm having a first attempt at blogging, please forgive my lack of experience here.
So what's going on? In 4 days time I'm having my stomach removed, but I'm told I'm a picture of health at 31, what!. Along with the rest of my clan I began genetic testing in July this year following the diagnosis of stomach cancer for my mum and uncle in 2008 who both in turn lost their mum and grandmother to stomach/breast cancer. Mum has survived, but sadly my uncle Malcolm died in August this year. I'm no expert, but it looks like there's something genetic here.

So on 09/09/09 I got my results. I should have known the outcome with a date like that, yes you guessed it, I'm a carrier of the rogue CDH1 gene. Along with another uncle (Paul) I've had to decide whether I want to ignore this news, or act on something that will almost certainly finish me off. It's a no brainer really, you just got to do it. I must admit, I expected to have to carry out the op myself or visit the local butcher if I wanted it doing soon. But, to my amazement there isn't a waiting list as such and in less that 2 months from being told I'm a carrier I'll be having the op at the Royal Hallamshire in Sheffield along with my Uncle Paul.

So that's how I got here. I'll call that time for my fist post, I have 4 days to eat like a king and try and avoid my already slim build dwindling to that of a racing snake!

8 comments:

  1. Dear Lee,

    We've heard from a number of your family members recently. So sorry you have to go through this. We're cheering you on...life after surgery is good!

    Looking forward to reading your posts.

    Best to you,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Lee , I know you'll be ok
    All the love in the world for a speedy recovery
    Love Mum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hay Brother, I know you'll be fine and me and Gemma are here for everything - nothing is too be or too small. When the going gets tough think of those who wish they'd have had the chance to have stomach removed - our Uncle been one of them. Here with you every step of the way, Love you loads, Ad & Gem x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck son , wish I could go through it instead of you . I'm sure everything will turn out ok .
    Love you loads
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. From all your Work Collegues2 November 2009 at 02:03

    All the very best through the Op and your recovery :) !!
    Were going miss you at work (even already after day 1 )
    - Take care and keep us updated on your recovery and how your doing etc...
    Smiles :)

    From all your work collegues x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey matey. All the best and all our love from the guys and gals of RMBC. Speedy recovery pal - see you soon back at your fighting fit best !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lee,

    Great to see you're doing a blog :) Let us know, when you can, how you're doing. We're all thinking of you.

    Take care
    Emma and all 'ere at work

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the best to you, Lee, in your healing and renewed health post TG! We will be watching your progress on your blog, and you're off to a great start there, by the way. Thank you for sharing your journey.
    Sending support across the ocean, from chilly Wisconsin, USA.
    Cindy Chelcun

    ReplyDelete