Monday 16 November 2009

2 weeks on

Two weeks on from the op and I'd say I feel pretty good, or at least much better than I thought I'd feel at this stage.  The wound is healing well, the pain's under control, I'm keeping all my food down and most important of all.....I'm going to the loo! I'm much better on my feet and can have short walks although most activity knackers me out.  Unfortunately I've lost a stone in weight and it's going to be a battle to put some or all of that back on.

The diet plan is quite simple.  I eat all main meals with Nic and Mikey, albeit smaller portions (often less than Mikey and he's 2, how sad!)  This is working well, I'm eating a wide range of food from healthy home made stuff to frozen convenience food, all of which goes down well but does often cause discomfort for a while afterwards.  I've only had one instance where I was in a lot of pain after eating and dam it hurt like hell.  Between main meals I snack every couple of hours and drink full fat milk based drinks.  So, to my work colleagues reading this, I fully intend maintaining my reputation as the 'human dustbin'!  The hardest part is stopping eating when you really want to carry on and not guzzling loads of water (or wine or beer) especially not whilst eating.  I'm getting used to it though, although I am developing a thirst for a pint of Yorkshire's finest real ale (or half!).

Mentally I'm up for the challenge of the road ahead, it's a massive change to my life and has had a big affect on Nic and Mikey too.  Mikey tells everyone that Daddy's had an operation to take his tummy out, but soon forgets and jumps on me in the hope we can wrestle.  Won't be long and we'll be back to trashing the living room shouting 'Submit!'  I'm working on some new moves!  It's certainly not been a breeze so far, and I'm under no illusions that at times it will get really tough, but I'm over the moon with my recovery so far.  I can't thank everyone enough for their support, none less than Nic and my Mum an Dad, they've been through more than enough this last year without having to worry about me.   On target for another half marathon next year?  I'll answer that after Christmas!

6 comments:

  1. Stones and loos and dustbins...it all sounds foreign to me :-)

    So much to be thankful for this year. Talk to my nephew Brian about that half marathon - he's breaking his own running records only eight months post-surgery!

    We may not have stomachs anymore, but we've all got a lot of guts!!!

    Best to you Lee, and all of your family,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen,
    Apologies, I did think after posting that I should translate Yorkshire English to American English!
    Thanks for your continued encouragement, I take great strength from reading your family's comments. I'll contact Brian about running, I'm sure he'll give me the push I need. I ran the Great North Run over here in Newcastle in September to raise money for the cancer care charity Macmillan, knowing that I would be having the op shortly after, so I set my goal at completing the run in September 2010!

    Best wishes to you all,

    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super read brother! I keep showning the people in the office your story and updates. Im currently encouraging them to join bestronghearted.org and spread awareness.

    Me and Gemma are so proud of you and are 100% sure that 2010 will be a better year for the Dodson's / Linsteads. We surely have a bright new future to look forward to.

    See ya soon!

    Love Ad & Gem x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh please...keep the Yorkshire English - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lee,

    Lynsey sent me the link to your blog and its brill to hear how well you're doing.

    Despite your reputation as the human dustbin, you're one of these strange people who enjoy exercise, so I have no doubt you'll be running next years Great North Run.

    You sound in need of some serious calories - I think Mars Bar cake needs adding to your diet! If not I have a few stone you're welcome to take off me!!

    Hope the recovery keeps going well, and you get to get some enjoyment from all the time you have off with Nic and Mikey.

    Speak soon

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Lee

    I have been getting updates from Neil and Wayne and they passed on the link to your blog. Everyone at work is really pleased that you are doing so well, and missing you.

    Your sense of humour seems to be helping to get you through some of the difficult bits - I guess it will be like learning to eat and drink all over again! At least you can compare notes with your uncle.

    The diet sounds ideal - eat as much as you like and don't gain weight!! Sounds like you will deserve that pint of beer - hope you can have a few small ones at Christmas.

    Anyhow, take care and make the best of all the attention and pampering you are getting - the novelty will wear off soon enough!

    Best wishes to you and your family,
    Take care
    Julie

    ReplyDelete